Sunday, May 19, 2013

Dehydrated Meal in a Jar: Chicken Tortilla Soup


I am a big cheater, cheater pumpkin eater!!!  I am cheating a bit on this recipe because I found a premade tortilla soup mix in the bulk section in Winco last time I was there. Of course, my little brain started going into over drive thinking about how I could work the mix into a new type of Meal in a Jar. Suddenly, the light went partially on and I had it.  Chicken. Tortilla. Soup. Just like in the restaurants!

Here is my newest and bestest recipe in the whole word:

Chicken Tortilla Soup: Meal in a Jar
(recipe size for each jar)
2 cups of tortilla soup mix
1/3 cup dehydrated black beans (aka quick cook beans)
1/4 freeze dried corn
1 cup freeze dried chicken
1/4 cup freeze dried cheddar cheese (place in a baggie)

DIRECTIONS:
On the jar or mylar bag write: Start with 4 cups of water OR chicken broth. Cook until beans are soft.



Here are the ingredients I first thought I was going to use:
Tortilla soup mix, Freeze dried chicken, freeze dried cheddar cheese and some quart sized mason jars. But then suddenly as the party began.....

Dehydrated black beans and Freeze Dried Corn (from Target) showed up. The music started and the taste bud dance off began! Obviously, someone (namely ME) is a little excited about this recipe.

Start by taking two cups of the tortilla soup mix and add it to a quart sized mason jar.


Add 1/3 cup Dehydrated black beans, 1/4 cup freeze dried corn, and a little over 1 cup freeze dried chicken. (I order my chicken from Honeyville.com. You can also get it at Beprepared.com. It is really good stuff!)

 Now it really gets fun! Measure out 1/4 cup of freeze dried cheddar cheese. This will be added to the top of the hot soup when it is made!

Normally, I do not like using plastic baggies, BUT there is a specific purpose for adding our little anti-environment friend to our jar. If we use this jar while camping or in a SHTF (Stuff Hits The Fan) situation, the baggie can be used to hold the left overs. That way, we are using all of our food and it will free up the jar in case it is needed for anything else.


Now that is one pretty jar! You can add or take away ingredients as you like. The front jar you see here has more beans in it then the others because I was running out of chicken. I still wanted to get some good protein in there, so that was the change.  Also, you can see the baggie of cheese resting on top of the jar.     
    
Note: I vacuum sealed these jars so they will be good for 5 to 7 years!

Four meals to add to my family's food storage. I am so happy to have the chance to mix it up and add a "new" thing. Hopefully, this seemed easy enough for you to do it to!

If you liked this post, please be sure to become a member of the blog. The more members I get, the more posts I'll do! :)
Until the next post, remember to add A Little Dash of This to your food storage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment